During the 1/27 Board Meeting, the BOE decided:
- Split shifts will continue, with no change in the start or end times, through this week.
- After reviewing the options presented for off-site locations, National Louis University, in Lisle, was selected as the most viable option. Board docs includes a memo describing each option. Click to open HMS Alternatives memo prepared by Dr. Schuster.
- The Administration has been tasked with obtaining all permissions needed to utilize this site which would cost approximately $5000 per day ($140/day per classroom for 35 classrooms).
- Should it appear that HMS will not reopen next Monday, the Board might convene another emergency meeting to determine when to end the split shifts and switch to the off site alternative.
Parents spoke during public comments and indicated that their preference is to not displace HMS students a second time. Since D181 has been given permission to run split shifts through 2/28, the parents said that it would be easier to continue with that schedule. Board members and administrators raised concerns that the split shifts are not the best educational option, but said that no decision would be made until further information becomes available on a possible start date at the off site location and end date of the HMS mold remediation work.